What is it?
When the level of haemoglobin (a protein responsible for carrying oxygen from the lungs to the tissues) in red blood corpuscles is low, the condition is called anemia. Iron deficiency anemia is the most common type of anemia, It occurs when your body doesn’t have enough of the mineral iron which is required to make hemoglobin. When there isn’t enough iron in your blood stream, the rest of your body can’t get the amount of oxygen it needs. A poor diet or certain intestinal diseases that affect how the body absorbs iron and excessive blood loss during menstruation can cause iron deficiency anemia. Certain diseases which hinder the absorption of iron in the body also lead to iron deficiency anemia.
What are the symptoms?
- Shortness of breath
- Cold hands and feet
- Fast, slow, or uneven heartbeat
- Strange cravings to eat items that aren’t food, such as dirt, ice, or clay
- Tingling or crawling feeling in the legs
- Tongue swelling or soreness
- Brittle nails
- Hair loss
- Spoon-shaped nails
- Eat beetroot in the salad. Blend one medium-size beetroot, three carrots and one-half of a sweet potato in a juice and drink this juice once daily.
- Mix two teaspoons each of blackstrap molasses and apple cider vinegar in one cup of water. Drink this once daily.
- Drink one tablespoon of blackstrap molasses mixed in a cup of hot water or milk once or twice daily.
- Include green leafy vegetables in your diet. Spinach soup or juice are very beneficial as it contains Vitamin B12 and folic acid also beneficial for treating anemia along with iron.
- Soak two tablespoons of black sesame seeds in water for two to three hours. Strain and make a paste of the soaked seeds. Add one tablespoon of honey and mix well. Have this mixture twice daily.
- Take pomegranate juice daily empty stomach. Mix one-fourth teaspoon of cinnamon powder and two teaspoons of honey to a cup of juice and drink this daily with your breakfast.
- Eat dates empty stomach.
- Soak 3-4 dates in milk overnight. Boil the next day and have it empty stomach.
- Include an apples and a bananas in your daily diet.
- Soak 10 to 12 dried black currants in water overnight. The next morning, remove them from the water and remove the seeds.Eat them daily before eating your breakfast.Follow this remedy for a few weeks.
- Include fenugreek seeds or leaves in your food.
- Decreased intake of tea
- Drink less coffee
- Drink less milk and dairy
- Avoid foods with high levels of phytic acid – such as wholegrain cereals, which can stop your body absorbing iron from other foods and pills
- Large amounts of these foods and drinks make it harder for your body to absorb iron.
Things to watch out for
Contact your GP, if you have symptoms of anemia, A simple blood test will confirm the diagnosis