What is it?
It is an inflammatory condition of the large intestine, or colon. It develops when there isn’t enough blood flow to the colon. It can occur at any age, but it’s most common among those over the age of 60.
What are the symptoms?
- Pain in your abdomen after eating
- An urgent need to have a bowel movement
- Tenderness in the abdomen
- Blood in stool
- Frequent forceful bowel movements
- Eating yoghurt helps in combating the problem. It has friendly bacteria that provide a layer of protection in the intestines and help generate lactic acid to flush out bacterial toxins from the body.
- Mix one-half teaspoon of psyllium husks or Isabgol (available at drug stores) and one cup of yogurt. Eat it one hour after your lunch and dinner. Repeat daily until there is improvement.
- Take one tablespoon of freshly ground flaxseed with water, once daily.
- Mix one tablespoon of flaxseed in a glass of water and allow it to rest for two to three hours. Drink the water daily before going to bed.
- Add two or three drops of peppermint oil to one-fourth cup of warm water. Drink it three or four times a day till your condition improves.
- Add one teaspoon of dried peppermint to a cup of boiling water. Steep for 10 minutes. Drink this tea two or three times a day. Excessive use should be avoided as it may cause nausea and nervous system disorders
- Steep one-half or one teaspoon of crushed fennel seeds in a cup of boiling water for 10 minutes, strain and drink this tea. Repeat this twice or thrice daily. Alternatively, you can take one-half teaspoon of dry roasted fennel seeds powder twice daily with warm water.
Things to watch out for
Immediately call 000 if symptoms of you develop symptoms of bowel ischemia. It needs urgent treatment in hospital to prevent permanent damage