What is it?
A kidney stone is a hard, solid lump that forms in your kidney. The lump can be as small as a tiny pebble or it can be much bigger. It is made out of the waste products in your urine. A kidney stone may stay in your kidney. It also may travel down the urinary tract. The urinary tract includes the ureters, bladder, and the urethra. If the stone is big enough, it can get stuck in your kidney or urinary tract. This can be very painful.
What are the symptoms?
- Back, belly, or side pain
- Pain during urination
- Urinary urgency
- Blood in urine
- Cloudy or smelly urine
- Low urine volume
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Fever and chills
- Drink lots of water i.e.2-3 litres a day.
- Mix 4 tablespoon each of lemion juice and olive oil.Drink this mixture followed by plenty of water. Repeat this two to three times a day, up to three days. You need not continue this remedy if you pass the stones in a single dose.
- Add two tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar to one teaspoon of honey in one cup of warm water and drink this a few times a day.
- Drink a glass of pemegranate juice daily till you feel the relief.
- Drink soup of horse gram (an Indian pulse).
- Mix one teaspoon each of basil juice and honey. Take it daily in the morning for five to six months.
- Steep two teaspoons of dried nettle leaf to a cup of hot water for 10 minutes, strain and drink two to three cups of this tea daily for several weeks.
- Eat watermelon regularly.
- Have a fibre rich diet, include bran flakes to get lots of fibre and minerals.
- Drink wheat grass juice regularly
- Celery juice is beneficial for preventing kidney stones. Drinking herbal tea made with celery seeds can help treat kidney stones resulting from uric acid accumulation or blend one or more celery stalks with water, and drink the juice throughout the day. Avoid if you have a low blood pressure or taking some sedatives. *
- Do not eat more than 1,500 mg of salt per day including the salt in pre-packaged food. Check nutrition labels to see how much salt (sodium) is in your food.
- Do eat more than 2 servings of meat per day. Each serving should be no more than 6 to 8 ounces.
Things to watch out for
Most of the kidney stones pass on it it, contact your GP for pain relief. If your symptoms become severe, call 000 or go to emergency