What is it?
Orbital cellulitis is an infection of the soft tissues of the orbit posterior to the orbital septum (eyelid).
What are the symptoms?
The symptoms of cellulitis of the eyelid may include:
- redness around your eyelid
- swelling of your eyelid
- swelling of the skin around your eye
This condition usually doesnt cause vision problems or any pain in the eye.
- Cool wet dressings may alleviate pain.
- If you are high risk of developing Cellulitis, take care to routinely moisturize your skin, treat other skin conditions and protect your skin from any injury.
- Take adequate rest for better recovery.
- If you have Cellulitis on face or eyes, however minute it may seem seek immediate treatment.
- Drink sufficient water to prevent dehydration.
- Wear proper footwear or protective clothing when playing or during outdoor activities
- Do not scratch your skin and keep your nails short
- Do not Self-medicate
- Do not ignore small cracks, cuts, insect bites etc.
Things to watch out for
GP should be contacted as soon as possible if an area of your skin suddenly turns red, painful and hot. Early treatment can help reduce the risk of the infection becoming severe.